WELCOME TO RECEPTION
Ducklings, Goslings and Cygnets are hatching new ideas and exploring and beginning to learn about the world around them.
We dive into new learning experiences, always making a splash, do our best to get along swimmingly and are discovering how to spread our learning wings and fly. To see our weekly learning scroll down past the Phonics section. Thank you.
This Terms Theme
The Same but Different
(For more information about this term's theme, scroll down to our curriculum map)
Week beginning 30th September- Read with me sessions
Meet The Team
If there are any issues or concerns, please feel free to come in and see member of the Reception team or contact the Team Lead, you can do this by email:
or call us.
Week beginning 16th September
This week we have been learning about taking care of our environment - in our classrooms, the woodlands and the wider world.
We have been working hard to 'reset' our classrooms when we have finished our learning, to make sure the woodlands looks great after we leave it and also thinking about recycling, using BOTH sides of the paper and saving energy by turning off the lights.
We have learnt some new sounds and have been working on recognising numbers and putting them in the correct order.
First full week at school
Week beginning 9th September
We have had such a busy week!
We have joined whole school, Key Stage and Year Group assemblies.
We have been learning the rules for going to the woodlands.
We're getting used to where we sit - in our Learning Spaces.
Wake and Shake dancing has made us laugh a lot.
Our teachers are very impressed with our learning behaviours and how well we are learning the names of all of our grown ups and new friends.
Our First Days at School - 04.09.19
We have had a great time settling in to our new school. We have explored our new environment and begun to build new friendships. We especially enjoyed our first time learning in the woodland.
OVERVIEW OF LETTERS AND SOUNDS
Below is a chart showing the order that children will be taught in.
- Listening to and for sounds
- Rhythm and rhyme
- Sounds taught: s, a, t, p, i, n, m, d, g, o, c, k , ck, e, u, r, h, b, f, ff, l, ll, ss
- Tricky words: the, to, go, no
- Sounds taught: j, v, w, x, y, z, zz, qu, ch, sh, th, ng, ai, ee, igh, oa, oo, ar, or, ur, ow, oi, ear, air, ure, er
- Tricky words: no, go, I, the, to, he, she, we, me, be, was, my, you, they, her, all, are
- Recap all previous sounds
- Teach reading and spelling tricky words: said, so, he, we, me, be, have, like, some, come, was, you, were, little, one, they, all, are, do, when, out, what, my, her
- Read and write the words with their initial and/or final blends: st, nd, mp, nt, nk, ft, sk, lt, lp, tr, dr, gr, cr, br, fr, bl, fl, gl, pl, cl, sl, sp, st, tw, sm, nch, shr, str, thr
- Learn new phonome zh
- Teach new graphemes for reading ay, ou, ie, ea, oy, ir, ue, aw, wh, ph, ew, oe, au, a-e, e-e, i-e, o-e, u-e
- Teach reading tricky words oh, their, people, Mr, Mrs, looked, called, asked, water, where, who, again, thought, through , work, mouse, many, laughed, because, different, any, eyes, friends, once, please.
- Teach spelling words said, so have, like, some, were, there, oh, their, people Mr, Mrs, looked, called, asked.
- Teach alternative spellings for ch, j, m, n, r, s, z, u, i, ear, ar, air, or, ur, oo, ai, ee, igh, oa, y/oo, oo, sh
- Understand and supply suffixes—ed, ing, ful, est, er, ment, ness, en, s, es
- Understand the rules of adding ing, ed, er, est, ful, ly, y
- Investigate how adding suffixes and prefixes changes words
- Introduce the past tense
Phoneme - The smallest unit of speech-sounds which make up a word.
Grapheme - The written representation of sounds
Tricky word - Word which can’t be sounded out
Key words - High frequency words
VC Word - Vowel consonant word (it, as)
CVC Word - Word made up of a consonant, vowel, consonant (cat, dog)
Initial sound - First sound in a word