PHONICS AT KEY STAGE 1
Information for parents of children on Years One and Two
PHONIC CULTURE AT WHITE ROCK
At White Rock:
- We ensure that all pupils benefit from a consistent and systematic approach to the teaching of phonics from entry to school
- Each phonic session follows the structure of revisit/revise, teach, practice, apply.
- We don’t follow any scheme for phonics such as ‘Jolly Phonics’ or Read, Write Ink’ but we do use Letters and Sounds as a basis for planning and to ensure age-appropriate coverage.
- We ensure all pupils access and be fully engaged in age-appropriate phonic phase daily sessions
- All pupils enjoy a multi-sensory approach to learning phonics ensuring that all sessions are active and cater for the needs of all children.
- ‘Phonic fingers’ are used to encourage all children to orally blend and segment and children should experience this at least 20-30 times in one session.
- All children fully engaged in the discreet teaching phonic sessions and have regular access to high quality teaching which secures both the crucial skills of word recognition, enabling children to read fluently, allowing them to concentrate on the meaning of the text and to have secured the automatic decoding skills
- Pupils are supported to pass the phonic screening check in Year 1 and to make at least expected progress from their starting point (if children pass their phonic screen they should achieve the expected standard in both Reading and Writing).
- Pupils are taught to apply their phonic knowledge and skills to both their reading and writing
Phonic Fingers in action .......
Progression of Phonic Phases
Phonic Phase mats
YEAR 1 PARENT PHONIC WORKSHOP
Today we invited all Year 1 parents to come into school to have a phonic workshop with Mrs Jarrett and then spend time with their child in their class. During this hour they were given a presentation about what to expect with phonic screening tests and they were also given tools on how to practise them at home. They then went into class and joined in a phonics lesson with their children. Have a look at some of the photos below:
Parent comments about the Phonic Workshop 15.10.19:
'I can better understand how to help with reading'
'Very useful workshop, well presented and informative'
'The children in the class really enjoy the way of learning'
'It gave us a really good insight into how phonics is being taught'
'Nice to be able to see methods in practice'
'Lovely to see the children using phonic fingers'
PHONICS MEETING FOR YEAR 1 PARENTS 17.10.18
Parents attended a Phonics meeting where they received information on how we teach phonics at White Rock and began to understand the technical vocabulary that all adults and children use e.g. phoneme, grapheme, segment and blend. Then parents went and took part in a phonics lesson with their children in their classes.
PHONICS WORKSHOP 9.05.18
On Wednesday the 9th May, Year 1 parents were invited to a Phonic Workshop. The parents participated in a meeting where they learnt some technical vocabulary related to phonics and how to blend and segment words. The parents were informed about the Phonic Screening Test that all children in Year 1 take during the week of 11th June.
Below are some useful websites that were suggested to parents to be used at home: