Accelerated Reader (AR) produces an average of two years’ reading age growth in just one academic year while promoting reading for pleasure.
AR is a powerful tool for monitoring and managing independent reading practice. With AR, teachers create a reading programme to meet the needs of every student.
Using information generated by the software, teachers help students select books that are difficult enough to keep them challenged, but not too difficult to cause frustration. In addition, it helps teachers to monitor students’ vocabulary growth, literacy skills development and reading skills taught through other reading schemes.
Accelerated Reader helps develops lifelong readers.
What is Renaissance Home Connect?
Renaissance Home Connect is a tool that connects the school and home to keep parents informed of their child’s progress toward Accelerated Reader and encourages the child to practice reading at home.
How does Renaissance Home Connect help me improve my child’s reading progress?
· You can view your child’s progress toward reading goals and reader certification, and view all books that your child has read and quizzes your child has taken.
· You can view all words a child has learned through Vocabulary Practice Quizzes. In addition, words the child missed are clearly marked so you can help your child learn those words.
· You can access an online search tool, AR BookFinder, to search for books using various criteria, including author, subject, or reading level.
· You can receive emails that reveal results for Reading Practice Quizzes and Vocabulary Practice Quizzes and provide links to the Web site where you can check progress.
How do I get access to Renaissance Home Connect?
You can view Home Connect from any computer with an Internet connection using these browsers:
· Internet Explorer® 6.02 or later
· Firefox® 1.5 or later
· Safari™ 2.0.3 or later
To log in to the Home Connect website:
The same login and password that your child uses at school will work at home.
Click link below for direct access - Links will open in a new window.
Parents' guide for Accelerated Reader
AR CELEBRATION OF SUCCESS
Every half term, we celebrate Accelerated Reader success in every class. In assemblies, the children who have scored the most 100% in their AR quizzes and those children who have read the most words are presented with a certificate and their photograph is then displayed in the library for everyone to see. It is an extremely exciting time to see who the certificates will be awarded to! These posters are also in each class to help children see their progress. There is also a 'class word count', which makes children work together as a team to get the highest score! There is even a section for children to recommend books to their fellow class mates. This is a great way to inspire children to read and get excited about books!