Please read the term dates carefully below:
Illness: All parents MUST call or message the office on 01803 577940 or on the schoolgateway app to advise of any pupil's absence before 9am.
Any absence as a result of sickness and diahorrea means that your child cannot return within 48 hours of the last occurrence.
Lateness: Any children arriving after 9am should be taken to reception to be signed in. Children arriving after 9am will be classed as late and this will be recorded as an unauthorised absence.
Holiday: In line with Government regulations, holiday absences will NOT be authorised except in exceptional circumstances. All requests for consideration must be completed on an Absence Request Form and returned to the Main School Office. The following circumstances are not deemed as exceptional, Birthdays, Weddings, Shopping trips, Visiting relatives or relatives visiting, looking after unwell siblings, parents or family members.
WARNING: If you allow your child to miss school in term for an avoidable reason without obtaining the prior approval of the school, you may be issued with a Penalty Notice* or made the subject of Court proceedings under section 444 of the Education Act 1996.
* The Penalty Notice is £60 per Child, Per Parent if paid within 21 days, increasing there after if not paid after 21 days.
Details on how to report an absence
If your child is going to be absent from school please contact us on 01803 577940 and choose option 1 to leave a message, you will need to confirm your child’s name, class and reason for absence. Alternatively if you would prefer to talk to a member of staff you can call Reception from 8am.
(Where possible, please bring with you your child’s medical letter/appointment card, the admin team will take a copy for your child’s file).
If your child arrives after 8.55am they will need to report to Reception where they will be signed in.
It is important that the Reception team are aware that your child has arrived in school in order to keep them safe in the event of a fire.
If your child has a medical appointment please let a member of the admin team know the date and time, they will inform the class teacher on your behalf.
Should you need to collect or return your child during the school day please report to the main office to sign your child in or out.
Below are just some of the key reasons why it is so important children attend school:
- To learn
- To make new friends.
- To experience new things in life.
- To gain qualifications.
- To develop new skills.
- To build confidence and self-esteem.
- To have the best possible start in life.
What can you do to help your child's attendance?
- Establish a good routine in the mornings and evenings so your child is prepared for the school day ahead.
- Make sure your child goes to school regularly and follows the school rules.
- Ensure your child arrives at school on time - not late.
- Arrange dental and medical appointments outside school hours when possible.
- Always inform the school if your child is absent due to illness - this should be followed up with a written note when your child returns to school.
- If your child is not attending school as you expect they may be putting themselves at risk - Who are they with? What are they doing?
- Avoid taking family holidays during term time.
- Talk to your child about school and take an interest in their school work (including home works).
- Always support school staff in their efforts to control difficult or challenging behaviour.
- Attend parents evenings and school events._____________________________________________________________